By Stephanie Ortoleva
These meatballs are a delightful food for parties, and the meatballs and sauce can be prepared well in advance.
- 1 pound ground turkey – you can add a bit of ground beef to make the meatballs stay together more easily, but it’s not necessary.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup water
- 8-ounce can water chestnuts, drained and minced
- ½ cup seasoned bread crumbs – I prefer less bread crumbs and use whole wheat bread crumbs.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Combine egg and water and beat well.
- Add remaining ingredients, mixing lightly.
- Shape turkey mixture into balls.
- Bake on foil-lined cookie sheet for 30 minutes at 350°.
The meatballs can be cooked in advance and frozen for a party later. Serve with sauce.
- ⅔ cup apricot or pineapple preserves
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- ⅔ cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Bring above sauce ingredients to a light boil, stirring well.
- Add meatballs and simmer in sauce. Or, serve room temperature meatballs alone and serve sauce in a separate bowl as a dipping sauce.
The sauce can be prepared in advance and refrigerated and kept at room temperature one hour before serving.
In this issue:
Fort Collins Guest John Ely
Newsletter Goes “Electronic”
Waikīkī Steel Week Preview
Unloved in its Homeland?
Ka Oiwi Nani
HSGA Japan’s Fourth Biennial Convention
WCC Hawaiian Steel Guitar Lessons a Success!
Polynesian Meatballs Recipe
A “Techno-Tale” From Kona Beach
My Wonderful Years In Music
HSGA Staff & info